Happy New Year to all! This year I am making a sincere promise to myself to eat healthier. While I do eat a lot of vegetables, fruit is something I always seem to lack in my daily diet. I love a fresh bowl of fruit, usually blueberries or strawberries for breakfast, but that is where my fruit intake stops. I am one of those people that will buy a bag of apple slices with the intent of snacking on them, only to forget about them until it’s time to empty the fridge for the trash pick up. Well, this year I am not doing that. I am buying fruit and I am eating the fruit. OK?
So, the first thing I will have to do is figure out how to incorporate fruit into my daily life at some other time than breakfast. Did you know that strawberries are a great source of potassium, Vitamin C and folic acid? Folic acid is needed to help your body metabolize protein, like the tofu or beans I normally eat later in the day. Strawberries are thought to fight cancer and heart disease. And, just one cup of strawberries yields about 45 calories. (Better than reaching for those potato chips!!!)
Alright, I have established that strawberries are going to be my new healthy vice. (Can a vice be healthy?) Well lucky for me, I can buy Florida strawberries in my local grocery store ALL winter long, from November to April. And if YOU don’t find Florida Strawberries in your favorite supermarket don’t be shy. Ask the manager to order and stock them.
You are going to need a handful of Florida Strawberries for this recipe I am going to share with you. Mr. Beet loves this Strawberry Avocado Crostini. It’s happy hour finger food and who doesn’t love that? Pair these crostinis up with a strawberry martini…just saying. Or a non-alcoholic strawberry tea (we are trying to get healthy people!!)
I chopped the strawberries up and mixed them with some diced bell peppers for that extra Vitamin C punch. Basil adds more flavor while mashed avocado adds not only a creamy texture, but also fiber and some protein. I hope you enjoy this recipe for Strawberry Avocado Crostini.
For more information on Florida Strawberries and nutrition, visit the website here –> Florida Strawberry Growers Association Health and Nutrition
Save this pin for later:
Be sure to follow all the fun with Florida Strawberries:
**This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.**
And please enjoy some of the other recipes from the Sunday Supper Recipes with Florida Strawberries event:
- Balsamic & Brown Sugar Strawberry Canapés by My Sweet Zepol
- Fresh Mozzarella Strawberry Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Foccaccio by Healing Tomato
- Strawberry Avocado Crostini by Beauty and the Beets
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips by Meghan On The Move
- Feta and Strawberry Tabouleh Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic and Mint by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Panzanella Salad by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Strawberry Sauce by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pork Chops with Balsamic-Strawberry Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken by Katie’s Cucina
- Strawberry Pesto Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Family Around The Table
- Lightened-Up Strawberry Mille-Feuille by Girl Abroad
- Roasted Strawberry Pavlova with Lemon Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberries Romanoff by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Pound Cake Kabobs With Chocolate Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.