Happy Meatless Monday!
I used to love chicken salad. The spices, the crunchy celery pieces, the creative variants. Grapes, blueberries, dried cranberries, pecans, walnuts- you could pretty much add about anything you wanted to and it would be good. As I venture into healthier eating, I have had to say adios to chicken and with that my favorite beloved deli salad.
One day, while out at lunch at a local Vegan restaurant, I found chickpea deli salad on the menu. Chickpea deli salad? Interesting. Hmmmmmm………
Now I’m hooked. I prefer to make my chickpea salad with curry spices and eat without the bread. I use it as a topping on salads or as a side dish to a healthy veggie panini. I also love anything I can make in under two minutes.
- 2- 15oz. cans chickpeas,, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3 green onions,, chopped and/or sliced
- 2 stalks celery,, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo,, (or hummus)
- juice of 1 medium to large lemon
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric,, optional
- In a medium bowl combine the mayo (or hummus), lemon juice, curry powder, garlic powder and turmeric (if using) and a pinch of salt and/or pepper.
- Add the chickpeas, carrots, scallions and celery to the mayo bowl and mix unitl well blended.
- Serve as a salad topper, with crackers or on bread as a sandwich. Garnish with veggies, lettuce and/or tomatoes.