A few years ago, my Mom introduced me to Houston’s (also known as Hillstone in some markets)- an upscale chain restaurant. I ordered a veggie burger and by her suggestion, substituted their Kale Salad in place of French Fries. It was delicious and unexpected so I decided to find a way to make this at home. A few nights later, we decided to try and recreate this, and I have to say- both my Mom and I agree that it turned out pretty darn great! We love the bitterness of the kale combined with the crunchiness of the peanuts and the sweetness of the mint. It’s a very tasty combination. Here is the copycat recipe for Houston’s Kale Salad with Peanut Dressing adapted from a recipe by Cook Forrest Cook.
When I got back to Orlando I decided to make it for Mr. Beet as he is pretty ambitious with new recipes and dishes. And he loved it. I first published this recipe on the blog three years ago and it became a hit, not only at home but also on Pinterest and Facebook, with thousands of repins and posts. Copycat recipes seem to have a bit of a cult following as we all love to recreate and re-experience our favorite restaurant dishes.
So why is Houston’s Kale Salad with Peanut Dressing so popular? Well, first off it’s healthy. Kale is packed with iron, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K and Omega-3 fatty acids- just a laundry list of essential vitamins and minerals we all need to incorporate into our diets. A few years ago Kale was all the rage and now it is a mainstream restaurant ingredient.
And second, it’s easy to make. This recipe only took about 10 minutes to make and doesn’t require any cooking or heat. It’s easy to throw together and serve. Salads don’t have to be boring or complicated. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments below.
- 2 1/2 cups curly kale, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 10 mint leaves, chiffonade
- 1/4 of a bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole dry roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing together in a jar and shake until blended.
- Place the kale, cabbage, mint, cilantro and chopped peanuts in a bowl and toss well with the dressing. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Sprinkle the whole dry roasted peanuts and parmesan cheese just before serving.
Pin this recipe for later:
You may also like this recipe for Kale and Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
*This post contains affiliate links which are no additional cost to you should you purchase a product. Thank you for your support.