Happy Wednesday! Does anyone else feel like Wednesdays just come around so quickly? So, today I am sharing a recipe that is an oldie but a goodie. A Kale and Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad. A salad of super food proportions filled with super foods. Well, kale and Brussels sprouts. It’s a tricky combination to pull off in my opinion since both foods are so bitter in taste. However, dressing them in a simple lemon vinaigrette is delicious. I love the simplicity of this salad. But first, I love the idea of shredding Brussels sprouts raw and using them in everything from salads to tacos to burger garnishes. It’s easy to shred them if you have a shredder attachment for the food processor. So, first the recipe, then on to What I Ate Wednesday and how I used the sprouts again.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded **
- 3 cups kale, leaves removed from stems and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, Dijon and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Or shake ingredients in a jar.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, kale, and almonds in a salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss together.
- Serve immediately.
**I use the shredder attachment on my food processor and the sprouts turn out finely shredded
And now, for What I Ate Wednesday:
I jumped on the smoothie bowl bandwagon. I received some local honey as a gift and I am using it in at least one meal a day for a week. Today Mr. Beet and I made smoothie bowls.
We made the smoothies with bananas, frozen strawberries, blueberries, peaches, coconut milk and flaxseed oil. Then topped it with more strawberries, blueberries, maple granola, shredded coconut and honey. Now I understand why everyone makes these so often.
I feel like since I spent most of the afternoon working on the Poutine recipe I just wanted a very simple and low key dinner. We made tacos with refried beans, corn, tomatoes, cheese and the leftover shredded Brussels sprouts.
And that’s all from Beetsland- thank you guys for your votes, your visits and all your comments every week! Happy What I Ate Wednesday-ing!
And- those of you last week asking for the Biscuits and Vegan Lentil Gravy recipe- here you go –>