You just need 5 ingredients and 20 minutes to whip up this healthy roasted tomato and garlic pasta topping.
I love buying fresh pasta at my local Farmer’s market, or experiment with spinach, black bean or the chick pea versions I find at the grocery store. White flour pasta is boring to me anymore. And so is topping pasta with a jar of store bought tomato sauce. I either like to make a batch of my own healthy marinara sauce or whip up this healthy roasted tomato and garlic pasta topping recipe.
First of all, this recipe uses fresh tomatoes and fresh garlic cloves. Secondly, while most breadcrumbs do have some sugar, you can control how little or much you use. It would be easy enough to omit the breadcrumbs all together here and the taste would still be delicious.
An issue from the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry revealed that heat enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing antioxidant activity, as well as the absorption of lycopene by the body
Get your tomatoes and garlic roasting in the oven, then cook your pasta and everything will come together at the same time.
I love how the roasted tomatoes become soft and blistered, how they practically melt in your mouth. And I love how sweet they become on their own…without adding any sugar. I love how this all comes together with 5 ingredients.
- 8 ounces pasta, enough for 4 servings
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450°
- In a 13x9 baking dish, add the tomatoes and garlic in a single layer. Drizzle olive oil lightly over the tomatoes.
- Bake tomatoes and garlic in the oven for 15 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to soften and wrinkle.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, cook the pasta according package directions.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a bowl. Sprinkle mixture over the tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes.
- Divide the pasta among 4 serving plates, and top each pasta plate with a scoop of the roasted tomatoes and garlic.
- Serve immediately.