Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
The sloppy joe recipe is also Vegan!!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste, no sugar added is best
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2-1/4 cups dark red kidney beans, coarsely chopped
- 6 Vegan hamburger buns
Heat the oil in a large skillet then add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic.
Sautee until ingredients are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and continue to stir over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Add the brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, and salt. Continue to stir until ingredients are well blended.
Slowly add the water and fold in the red kidney beans.
Continue to cook about another 5 minutes until the mixture is heated through
Each serving consists of one bun and about a 1/2 cup of the sloppy Joe mixture.