I love Beets. Papa Beet does not. So when I brought this Iced Beet Cake over to his house for him to try, I didn’t tell him at first that beets were involved. And he liked it. After I told him both the cake and the icing were made with beets he said he would eat beets this way. #Success.
I made this recipe as part of the Root Vegetables campaign for the #SundaySupper. The idea of the Sunday Supper Movement is to gather the family around the kitchen table at a meal for family time and members of the group were asked to submit recipes with root vegetables this week. So I made dessert.
I will admit, this started as a brownie recipe and ended as a cake recipe.
I got very excited when the batter was pink. I was thinking my cake would be pink and pink cake would set up some great pictures. However, it seems the pink just baked right out of the cake. Then again, if you are trying to disguise vegetables in a dessert than this isn’t such a bad thing, right? #Success.
I actually ended up loving the cake-like texture, and I really loved the pink icing- I just made a glaze of confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and beet juice.
And yes, I used canned beets. Not only did this save me about an hour of baking time, it also saved my kitchen from becoming a failed Pepto Bismol experiment. I tend to be a little messy when I bake and beet juice stains everything.
I also used gluten-free rice flour to keep it easy on my celiac-challenged friends. OK, now there is no “beeting” around the bush – here is the recipe:
- ⅔ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup canned sliced beets, drained but reserve the liquid for the icing
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (I used rice flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar, sifted to remove lumps
- 3 to 4 tablespoons beet juice (from the can of beets)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the melted butter and sugar until blended. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and maple syrup and process until mixture is smooth.
- Add the beets and again process until smooth.
- Pour the beets mixture into the sifted flour mix and stir gently until the dry ingredients are well mixed into the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in one cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into a 13x9 baking dish and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
- Place the sugar in a medium bowl and slowly stir in the beet juice and vanilla.
- Stir until the glaze is mixed well. Spoon or pour over the cake and spread evenly.
- Cut the cake into individual pieces and serve.
Pin this for later:
#SundaySupper Root Vegetable recipes
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement